20%-30% OFF STOREWIDE THROUGH JULY 15, 2015
• Over 40 Turkish DOBAG Rugs •
• Semi-Antique Kurdish Tribal Trappings •
• New Barakat Cultural Survival Project Shipments •
Browse our collections here on the site, or come in to the shop and see our selection of over 900 extraordinary hand-knotted rugs.
DOBAG Rug Exhibit:
Returning to the Roots of Vegetable Dyes
In 1982, the DOBAG project in Turkey revitalized the ancient rug weaving traditions, sharing its knowledge with rug producers throughout the world, which transformed modern rug production. DOBAG rugs are prized works of art, and are displayed in museums worldwide. The exhibit features over 50 of these vibrant, durable and glorious "antiques of the future," each using hand-carded and hand-spun, vegetable dyed wool. Also displayed is an extraordinary collection of semi-antique Kurdish tribal carpets and trappings. Come in to The Magic Carpet and experience these extraordinary works of art under foot.
Dear Oriental Rug Lovers,
On May 9th, 2015, The Magic Carpet presented an exciting Turkish travelogue and opened the exhibit, DOBAG Rugs: Returning to the Roots of Vegetable Dyes. Paul and Eileen Jorgensen shared their recent reunion with the women of the DOBAG Rug Weaving Cooperatives in Turkey. Their journey went from Istanbul through the Yuruk mountain villages where master weavers create magnificent rugs using hand-carded, hand-spun, and vegetable dyed wool.
If you'd like to be added to our mailing list to receive announcements of future store events and sales, please follow this link.We look forward to exploring the wonderful art and culture of Magic Carpets with you!
Rugs For Everyone!
Since 1980, The Magic Carpet has taken great pleasure in providing the community with a unique collection of antique, semi-antique and new Oriental rugs, with a special emphasis on one-of-a-kind tribal rugs. Come in and explore the fascinating world of Oriental rugs and feast your eyes on treasures from the East: Turkey, Russia(Caucasus), Persia(Iran), Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Tibet, Nepal and China.
In addition, The Magic Carpet offers:
- An unparalleled collection of semi-antique and antique hand embroidered textiles from the Indian states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh.
- A large and unique collection of museum quality antique Indian, Nepali and Tibetan statues.
- A growing volume of educational and reference materials. We invite you to peruse our inventory as well as enhance your appreciation for this ancient art form by studying and better understanding the rich tradition behind it with our educational materials available on the web site and in the shop.
- Extensive rug services. The Magic Carpet has been committed to providing all of the necessary services needed to maintain the timeless beauty of your Oriental rug: Washing, restoration, trading, appraising, home consultation, home trials and educational lectures.
We look forward to exploring this fascinating world with you!
The Magic Carpet
Paul and Eileen Jorgensen, Owners
Peter Cohen and Carolien van Straten, Managers
RE-OPENED UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT
Dear Nevada County Community and Friends World-Wide,
While planning for our retirement, we began a conversation with two of our friends and rug lovers who like many customers expressed their desire to see the Magic Carpet, a landmark of Nevada County, somehow continue. That conversation grew into a plan, and now it’s a reality!
With great excitement and joy, we would like to announce the re-opening of The Magic Carpet under the capable management of Peter Cohen and Carolien van Straten on February 15, 2013.
We will continue to support the shop’s success as buyers, appraisers and consultants, traveling the world and sending back beautiful hand-knotted rugs and ethnic artifacts for our distinctive customers.
Peter and Carolien will bring their enthusiasm and expert guidance to customers at the store and they invite you to stop by and say hello.
We would like to express heartfelt gratitude for all the wonderful support received and delightful friendships enjoyed during our long journey as owners of the Magic Carpet in Nevada City for the past 33 years.
Paul and Eileen Jorgensen